From 1869, the era of Historicism and later in the Art Nouveau period, Backhausen took over the textile furnishing of many prestigious and official buildings in Vienna, such as the State Opera, the Parliament, the Burgtheater, the Musikverein and the Imperial Household. Subsequently in 1888, the family was commissioned as purveyors to the imperial court and titled "K. & K. Hoflieferant"
We were not only one of the main suppliers to the Wiener Werkstätte, but also a member of the association at its foundation in 1903.
More than 3.500 original sketches by over 300 artists from this period constitute the Backhausen archive, the largest collection of historical textile designs worldwide.
Despite the war we produced during the years 1939-1945 tarpaulins and other fabrics; our sales headquarters in "Heinrichshof" opposite the State Opera was totally destroyed. After the end of the war, we moved to Kärntner Strasse 33.
Today our exquisite fabrics adorn places of renown and prestige both at home and abroad: hotels, palaces, theatres and concert halls. We export to 40 countries across the globe.
The sales headquarters of our family enterprise - now into the sixth and seventh generation - relocated in September 2003 to Schwarzenbergstrasse in the 1st district.
Less could mean more
Despite the difficult economic situation, the world's leading textiles trade fair, the Heimtextil in Frankfurt, held steady this year. The focus was less on spectacular innovations and more on strengthening the core business, with a few exceptions, of course.› To the article
An industrial revolution
We spoke to the Managing Director of furnishing and decorating fabric manufacturer Backhausen at "Nutec", the first Cradle to Cradle fair congress in Frankfurt. We discussed how easy or difficult it is to manage sustainability.› To the article