Born in Milan on 3 May 1931. He lived and worked in Milan and New York.
In 1959, he graduated in architecture from Milan Polytechnic.
Rossi followed an academic career and quickly became a full professor, first at Milan Polytechni
c and then at I.U.A.V. in Venice.
He taught for three years in Zurich and in numerous American universities, including Yale, Harvard and Cranbrook.
His main projects have been executed in Germany, Italy, Netherlands and England, USA
and Japan. The most important are:
- 1969/73 Housing in the Gallaratese district in Milan
- 1971/78 San Cataldo Cemetery in Modena
- 1979/80 Teatro del Mondo, Venice
- 1981/88 Housing development for Friedrichstadt in Berlin, IBA &ls
- 1983/89 Carlo Felice theatre in Genoa
- 1987/89 Hotel "Il Palazzo" in Fukuoka, Japan
- 1988 Project for the Deutsches Historisches Museum in Berlin
- 1988/90 Monument in Piazzetta Croce Rossa in Milan
0 Contemporary art centre in Vassivivière, Clermont-Ferrand, France
- 1988/91 Hotel Duca di Milano, Milan
- 1989/91 Libero Istituto Universitario Carlo Cattaneo in Castellanza
- 1990/94 Bonnefanten museum in Maastricht, Netherlands
r />- 1991/93 Extension of the international Milan-Linate airport
- 1991/96 "Celebration Place" offices for Walt Disney , Orlando, Florida, USA
- 1992/97 Schaetzenstrasse street block in Berlin
- 1993/96 Techno-Park on Lake Maggio
- 1995 Project for a street block in Leipzigerplatz, Berlin
- 1997 Project for the reconstruction of the La Fenice theatre, Venice
The numerous awards received include the Pritzker Prize in 1990, the AIA Honor Award in
1991, the Jefferson Memorial Award in 1992; he was made an honorary member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters in 1996 and in 1997 received the special culture prize 1996 for the "Architecture and Design" sector awarded by the Commissio
ne Premi Cultura of the Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri.
He died in Milan on 4 September 1997.