After his architectural studies at the Technical University in Munich, Blümel took up painting at the well-known Debitzsch-School. From 1907 to 1914 he was head of the design department of "Vereinigte Werkstätten für Kunst im Handwerk" in Munich, which was trend-setting for interior decoration and architecture at that time. In 1916 he was appointed to the Partenkirchner Schnitzschule (wood-sculpture school) as a master of art. From 1920 to 1949 he was the director of this school. Owing to his activities the Museumsverein Werdenfels was founded, and in 1925 the Heimatmuseum was established. Besides his furniture designs he wrote a nativity play in dialect which was performed very successfully at Munich's Prinzregententheater. He was honorary citizen of Garmisch-Partenkirchen and bearer of the order "Verdienstkreuz am Bande" of the Federal Republic of Germany.