Egon Eiermann was born on September 29, 1904,in Neuendorf/Berlin. After graduating High School he studied architecture at the Technical University in Berlin-Charlottenburg. His most important teachers were Henry Tessenow and especially Hans Poelzig, whose master student he was. After finishing university in 1927 Eiermann worked at the construction office of Karstadt AG in Hamburg, later at Bewag in Berlin. From 1931 to 1945 he was an independent architect in Berlin. After the war in1947, he became professor at the Department of Architecture at Technical University of Karlsruhe, where he also had his office until his early death in 1970. As an university professor and architect Egon Eiermann was one of the most important architects of the postwar period in Germany. The residential houses of the 30s, the handkerchief factory in Blumberg 1951, St. Matthew Church in Pforzheim 1953, the German Pavilion at the World Exhibition in Brussels 1958, the new Kaiser-Wilhelm Memorial Church in Berlin 1961, the German Embassy in Washington 1964, the house for the members of Parliament in Bonn 1969, the administration buildings for IBM and Olivetti in Stuttgart/ Frankfurt 1970 are his most important buildings. He also designed numerous pieces of furniture, some of them still in production today.